Hi, I’m Milly and welcome to my Best Can Opener and Can Opener Reviews blog! The kitchen is my most favorite place in the world, be it at home or work. One of the most useful but under appreciated kitchen tool is the can opener. I hope that with my research on the various types and models of can openers, you will find the best can opener for your kitchen or camping trips!
Which is the Best Can Opener: Electric or Manual?
In general, there are two types of can openers in the market; electric and manual. Manual can openers have two levers to assist in puncturing the can while a hand crank is used to move the rotary wheel along the top of the can to open it. It is easy to store because it’s slim and compact. Cleaning is easy as you can just run it under the water or chuck it in the dishwasher.
However, there is one serious downside to manual can openers; it requires some amount of strength for the user to clamp the rotary wheel through the can. So, people with arthritis or problems with manual dexterity will not be able to use even the best can opener in this category.
That is where the electric can openers can help. With a push of a button, the can opener starts to do its job for the operator, faster than when the operator uses a manual one. There is also a magnet that will hold onto the top of the can while it is being cut off the can.
Most electric can openers are designed for a countertop or placed under the counter or cabinets. Countertop models can pose some problem; it may take limited space and it for some models will not be able to open extra tall cans.
Best Can Opener Reviews
- All-time Best Can Opener – Since more than a decade ago, this can opener has been not only one of the best, but also a favorite to all.
- Best Manual Can Opener – A manual can opener that doesn’t cause you to strain your hands.
- Best Electric Can Opener – Not only is it beautifully made, it is also made to work effortlessly.
- Best Cordless Can Opener – A hybrid of a manual and electric can openers.
- Best Value Electric Can Opener – The best priced electric can opener that you can find.
- Best Smooth Edge Can Opener – This can opener will ensure your safety by not leaving any sharp edges.
Of course, this is only my view on what I think are the best can openers based on what I’ve seen, read about or used. Of course, having the best does not mean it will not be damage prone, especially electric can openers. It’s always handy to know how to fix and maintain your electric can openers.
Canned Food Safety Tips
Canned food are one of the most widely used packed food in the world because they are easy to store (especially for emergencies) and don’t require much to be prepared. They taste good and last for a long time.
Of course, as with any other food, you need to ensure the safety of the food that you put in your mouth. With canned food, there are certain things you need to watch out to ensure how safe it is to be eaten:
- Never eat food from cans that are dented or bulging. This means that they are old and may have been exposed to air, which will encourage growth of bacteria and mold.
- Highly acidic food may have chemical reaction with the can and cause it to rust. Need I stress how dangerous food contaminated by rust?
- Make sure to check the smell, color and texture of the food ALL the time. Do not attempt to eat anything that smell and look different.
Best Can Opener – More Tips
Read more of the tips here in my blog.
That’s all for now, and I will be writing more can opener reviews and tips soon. Have fun looking for the best can opener!